Actress Terri J. Vaughn, most notably known for her adorably endearing role of Lovita Alizé Jenkins on “The Steve Harvey Show,” recently announced that she’s expecting her third child with fellow actor, Karon Joseph Riley!
The 44-year-old actress appeared on CocoaFab’s new web series, The Organized Home where she linked up with the show’s host, Denise Gordon to throw a party for her girlfriends to announce her pregnancy. “I feel so excited to be able to grow our family and bring another life into the world,” Terri gushed. “Mentally, physically and spiritually I feel grounded and ready to receive this blessing! I’m grateful to be chosen by God to be a mother,” Terri gushed. Terri and Karon have two boys, Daylen, 12 and Kal’El, 5 and can’t wait to welcome their new baby into their loving home this fall.
Terri joins a growing list of Hollywood women who have chosen to bear children at an older age; stars like Kim Fields, Halle Berry, Mariah Carey and Nia Long to name drop a few. Many high profile women who have become pregnant in their forties, especially after the age of 45, did so with the help of donor eggs. The pregnancy risk over 45 is also increased. In the unlikely event that a woman over 45 becomes pregnant with her own eggs, the pregnancy risk over 45 results in a miscarriage rate of at least 50 percent. After 45, experts say, it’s almost impossible to get pregnant using your own eggs. But if you ask me–nothing is impossible. Many 40-plus women do get pregnant (obvi); some use fertility treatments and others luckily don’t have to. Recent studies have shown there may be benefits to waiting to have children, for both you and your child.
No matter how old you are when you get pregnant, timing has both advantages and disadvantages. Check the pros and cons out below.
1. You have more than enough time to live your life without being tied down with the responsibilities of having to take care of a child. While it’s surely a rewarding experience, it can also be one of the most time-consuming things you’ll ever commit yourself to.
2. You have more time to learn and grow with your partner, creating a stronger bond between you before introducing a child into your union.
3. You’re more than likely more established in your career and you’ll be able to provide a better life for your child–at least financially.
1. It can be harder to get pregnant, the longer you wait to conceive.
2. There are more complications in older-aged pregnancies. In your 40s, you’re far more likely to develop problems like high blood pressure and diabetes during pregnancy. Women over 40 have a higher risk of delivering a low-birth-weight or preterm baby. Stillbirth rates are also higher, and studies show that children born to older mothers may be at increased risk of type 1 diabetes and high blood pressure.
3. Let’s not forget about your man! Men are physically capable of fathering children in their 60s and even their 70s, however, sperm quality deteriorates with age, and there’s a higher rate of genetic defects like Down Syndrome and schizophrenia than there is with the sperm of younger men.
Congrats to Terri & Karon! And in case you’re over 40 and want to get pregnant, just know–it’s not impossible!
Check Out This Gallery Of Hot Celeb Moms!
Hollywood's Hottest Moms Who Make It Look Easy
1. Taking Care Of Home & Still Fly!Source:Getty 1 of 35
2. Kerry WashingtonSource:Getty 2 of 35
3. MonicaSource:Getty 3 of 35
4. CiaraSource:Getty Images/Gilbert Carrasquillo 4 of 35
5. Christina MilianSource:Getty 5 of 35
6. Eva MarcilleSource:Getty 6 of 35
7. BeyonceSource:Getty 7 of 35
8. Tamera Mowry-HousleySource:Getty 8 of 35
9. Jill ScottSource:Getty 9 of 35
10. Lisa BonetSource:Getty 10 of 35
11. Amber RoseSource:Getty 11 of 35
12. Kelly Rowland12 of 35
13. Mel B.Source:Desiree Navarro/WireImage 13 of 35
14. Angela BassettSource:Getty 14 of 35
15. Garcelle BeauvaisSource:Getty 15 of 35
16. Alicia KeysSource:Getty 16 of 35
17. Kimora Lee SimmonsSource:Getty 17 of 35
18. KelisSource:Getty 18 of 35
19. Erykah BaduSource:Getty 19 of 35
20. Gwen StefaniSource:Getty 20 of 35
21. Paula PattonSource:Getty 21 of 35
22. Taraji P. HensonSource:Getty 22 of 35
23. Jada Pinkett SmithSource:Getty 23 of 35
24. Lauryn HillSource:Getty 24 of 35
25. Jennifer HudsonSource:Getty 25 of 35
26. Lauren LondonSource:Getty 26 of 35
27. Jennifer LopezSource:Getty 27 of 35
28. Mariah CareySource:Getty 28 of 35
29. LaLa AnthonySource:Getty 29 of 35
30. Toni BraxtonSource:Getty 30 of 35
31. 'Lil KimSource:Getty 31 of 35
32. Solange KnowlesSource:Getty 32 of 35
33. Halle BerrySource:Getty 33 of 35
34. Tamar BraxtonSource:Getty 34 of 35
35. Kim Kardashian and Kris JennerSource:Getty 35 of 35
Lovita Alizé Jenkins Is Pregnant + The Pros & Cons Of Giving Birth After 40 was originally published on hellobeautiful.comfeed