Solange graces the cover of teen Vogue this month with a powerful message. She wrote a letter to her teenage self outlining the “journey of life” instead of focusing on the destination. If you need that motivation or push to keep going in your career when the road gets tough, take a page out of Solo’s book!!
“A LETTER TO MY TEENAGE SELF” by SOLANGE KNOWLES
there will be fear. a lot of it. there will be triumph. a lot of it. there will be constellations you want to reach for but can’t put your finger on. you will trace them like the scars on your body you got from trouble and the times of your life. you will take the long way to get to these Orions. the long way will become a theme in your life, but a journey you learn to love.
you will dive head first without looking into phases that you are certain of who you are.
some of these stages include:
- the dance-is-life (aka “this leotard is my second skin”) phase.
- the Bible-thumping-church-camp phase
(which coincided and contradicted with the Fiona-Apple-fan-club-president phase).
- the Nas-aficionado-brown-lip-liner-and-Vaseline phase.
- the Rasta-vegan-thrifter-who-is-determined-to-marry-Brandon-Boyd phase.
- the football-player’s-girlfriend-who-wears-braided-blond-highlights-and-swears-by-capri-pants phase.
at the time, you are searching. seeking in every corner and pocket of the world for who you are. take your time, baby girl. there’s no rush to get there. you will sow each of these chapters in the land that you become. you will see bits and pieces of them scattered into the skin you grow into. you don’t have to figure everything out now. time will reveal itself. i promise you.
sometimes you push these phases to the max, and when you go out into the world feeling confident in who you are and what you reflect, young folks will call you names and grown folks will call you names. It’s ok. one day you will name yourself, and that name willbelong to you. it will not be the ones they ordained: “crazy, ugly, attention-seeking, weirdo.”
i really hate to tell you this, but sometimes you will still get called these things as an adult, except you will actually embrace some of them. you will learn that these are just words. words that only have power if you choose to give them power. every once in a while they will hurt, but you will choose to turn those words into a symbol of beauty.
there will be pain, there will be doubt there will be beauty, there will be the unknown. there will be so many moments of joy and delight that the whole universe will feel painted in hues of amber and wonder. there will be times you are so sad you can’t lift your head. and there will be times you are so happy that the sensation of life knocks you down. but most importantly, there will be you. a whole, whole lot of it. and you will feel good about who she is and who she is still becoming.
30 Times Solange Knowles Slayed The Fashion Game
1. Solange Knowles puts a spin on all white for her wedding.Source:Getty 1 of 30
2. The slayage needs a moment.Source:Getty 2 of 30
3. She really pulled no punches at the 2016 Met Gala.Source:Getty 3 of 30
4. Solange shows off her long legs in a colorful ‘fit she paired with natural locks.Source:Getty 4 of 30
5. Stunning at the 2012 Met Gala.Source:Getty 5 of 30
6. Baby in blue.Source:Getty 6 of 30
7. What style, what a smile.Source:Getty 7 of 30
8. Solo goes braless at the 2016 Regent Street Flagship store opening in London.Source:Getty 8 of 30
9. She even slays her everyday ‘fits.Source:Getty 9 of 30
10. When your style comes in different shapes and sizes.Source:Getty 10 of 30
11. Carven fashion show in Paris.Source:Splash News 11 of 30
12. Solange kills all white at the ‘Gloss: The Work Of Chris Von Wangenheim’ Book Launch Party.Source:Getty 12 of 30
13. She’s always ready for her close-up.Source:Getty 13 of 30
14. Solange goes floral with a red lippie.Source:Getty 14 of 30
15. Front row at the 2016 Prabal Gurung NY Fashion Week show.Source:Getty 15 of 30
16. Solo’s got many talents – getting the party live is one of ’em.Source:Getty 16 of 30
17. Pretty in pink.Source:Getty 17 of 30
18. Seriously gorgeous at this year’s NY Fashion Week.Source:Getty 18 of 30
19. She always shows out for her man.Source:Getty 19 of 30
20. Oh-so-militant.Source:Getty 20 of 30
21. Solange’s color palette knows no bounds.Source:Getty 21 of 30
22. A close-up of Solo show-stopping in L.A.Source:Getty 22 of 30
23. Pretty in purple.Source:Getty 23 of 30
24. Solo embraces NY’s Spring weather in a casual, but super cute ‘fit.Source:Getty 24 of 30
25. Bonnaroo looks good on baby girl.Source:Getty 25 of 30
26. Look at her rock the 2013 Bonnaroo Music And Arts Festival stage.Source:Getty 26 of 30
27. Glamour girl.Source:Getty 27 of 30
28. Can you handle it?Source:Getty 28 of 30
29. Money green at the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards.Source:Getty 29 of 30
30. Pure perfection.Source:Getty 30 of 30
Source: teen Vogue