Ohio still remains one of the few states that do not protect LGBTQ individuals in basic anti-discrimination laws.
Currently in Ohio LGBTQ community is not protected when it comes to discrimination in n housing, employment, or public accommodations. State lawmakers are planning on stepping up to come with a bill to change that.
“My child should be afforded the same opportunity as every other kid at his bus stop,” Lisa Phair said about her transgender son. “He’s smart and kind and capable. And he should be judged based on his merit and character, and not what’s in his pants.”
Cleveland is one of 19 Ohio cities, including Columbus, that bans LGBT discrimination. However, at this time this is not a statewide law and for some cities, LGBTQ individuals are not protected.
Besides the moral argument on why this is needed this will help Ohio business wise. This would make the state more competitive in employment and job creation.
House Bill 160 is greeted with support and pushback. Pushback comes from groups like Citizens for Community Values who claim the bill will “bully small businesses into compromising their beliefs and privacy.”
Out & Proud: A Year In LGBTQi
1. Sherri Shepherd Had To Apologize For Perceived Anti-Gay Comments1 of 14
2. Porsha Gave An Anti-Gay Sermon & Had To Apologize2 of 14
3. Piers Morgan Got It All Wrong WIth Trangender Activist Janet Mock3 of 14
4. Anti-Gay Africa: Nigerian President Signs Act To Imprison LGBTQ Community4 of 14
5. NeNe Calls Kenya’s Gay Friend A “Queen”5 of 14
6. Stunning Photos Of Lesbian Couples That Melted Our Hearts6 of 14
7. Raven-Symoné: “Don’t Label Me African-American Or Gay”7 of 14
8. Beauty Queen Djuan Trent Becomes 1st National Pageant Contestant To Come Out The Closet8 of 14
9. My Bad: ‘Fashion Queens’ Host Bevy Smith Apologizes For Gay Comment On Twitter9 of 14
10. New Children’s Book Series Highlights Gay Families Of Color10 of 14
11. ESPN Apologizes For Michael Sam Shower Report, But Why Was It Even A Topic?!11 of 14
12. Gay Marriage Wins This Year12 of 14
13. Transgender Sailor’s Discharge Puts Pressure On Ending Ban13 of 14
14. LGBT Group At St. Patrick’s Day Parade14 of 14