The Washington Archdiocese issued an apology to a Maryland family after they were inhumanely kicked out of a church during a funeral service for their matriarch.
A large crowd gathered on June 26 to honor the memory of Agnes Hicks, 54, at Saint Mary’s Catholic Church in Charlotte Hall. But according to WTTG, things quickly went left after a chalice was accidentally knocked over during the service.
An argument ensued between Hicks’ family and Pastor Michael Briese, who yelled for everyone to “get the hell out,” while also incredulously instructing the family to take Hicks’ body with them.
“That’s when all hell broke loose. He literally got on the mic and said, ‘there will be no funeral, there will be no mass, no repass, everyone get the hell out of my church,’” said Shanice Chisely, Hicks’ daughter in an interview with the outlet.
“He disrespected our family, he disrespected my mother,” she continued. “He called my mother ‘a thing.’ He said, ‘get this thing out of my church! Everyone get the hell out of my church!’ It was very sad. I’ve never seen anything like that before.”
Briese also called the police—escalating tensions as everything continued to go awry. In a video captured by someone in the crowd, Briese can be seen yelling during the aftermath of the argument.
The family was later seen carrying Hicks’ casket outside the church. After police arrived and conducted an investigation, they ruled the family was not in the wrong. They were later escorted to a different funeral home where they were able to lay Hicks to rest.
Hicks’ family and friends say they are shocked and angered by Briese’s actions, especially during such an emotional moment. The family said that Saint Mary’s was important to Hicks–it’s where she was baptized as a young girl.
“This was uncalled for and it really hurt me. It really did. To see your loved one come there to rest and to be shut down like that,” said Larry Hicks, Agnes’ brother.
Briese was placed on leave and issued an apology to the family, the Maryland Independent reports.
“The man who canceled this family’s funeral and dispatched them in anger, is not the man who hours before worked to minister to their needs in a time of grief. Instead of lifting them up, I let them down. For the anger and embarrassment I caused to that family, I am profoundly sorry,” Briese wrote.
In a statement released to WTTG, the Archdiocese said the following:
“What occurred at St. Mary’s Parish this morning does not reflect the Catholic Church’s fundamental calling to respect and uplift the God-given dignity of every person nor does that incident represent the pastoral approach the priests of the Archdiocese of Washington commit to undertake every day in their ministry.”
“My mom was supposed to have a great funeral and all this came up and I’m so traumatized by it. I’m going to be thinking about this every day. I’ll never forget this day,” said Davon Chisley, Hicks’ son.
ARTICLE FROM: HelloBeautiful.com
Article Courtesy of WTTG-TV Washington D.C., Maryland Independent, and HelloBeautiful
First Picture Courtesy of Getty Images
Second Picture Courtesy of Gary S Chapman and Getty Images
Tweet and Video Courtesy of Twitter, WTTG-TV Washington D.C., Maryland Independent, and HelloBeautiful
Through the years with Luther Vandross [Photos]
1. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - Season 4Source:Getty 1 of 28
2. Luther Vandross brought more than a little bit of Las Vegas to 7;000 fans at Maple Leaf Gardens lastSource:Getty 2 of 28
3. Luther Vandross On StageSource:Getty 3 of 28
4. Luther Vandross On 'Oprah Winfrey'Source:Getty 4 of 28
5. Little Richard And Luther VandrossSource:Getty 5 of 28
6. The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - Season 28Source:Getty 6 of 28
7. Luther Vandross Live In ConcertSource:Getty 7 of 28
8. Luther VandrossSource:Getty 8 of 28
9. Luther VandrossSource:Getty 9 of 28
10. Dionne Warwick Burt Bacharach Carole Bayer Sager And Luther VandrossSource:Getty 10 of 28
11. Luther VandrossSource:Getty 11 of 28
12. Luther VandrossSource:Getty 12 of 28
13. Roberta Flack And Luther VandrossSource:Getty 13 of 28
14. Singer Luther VandrossSource:Getty 14 of 28
15. Luther Vandross Live at Westbury Music FairSource:Getty 15 of 28
16. 7th Annual Soul Train Lady of Soul AwardsSource:Getty 16 of 28
17. 33rd Annual Grammy AwardsSource:Getty 17 of 28
18. BET AwardsSource:Getty 18 of 28
19. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - Season 9Source:Getty 19 of 28
20. Disney ABC Television Group ArchiveSource:Getty 20 of 28
21. Disney ABC Television Group ArchiveSource:Getty 21 of 28
22. Celine Dion, Luther Vandross And Little Richard Appear At A Gala for the President at Ford's TheatreSource:Getty 22 of 28
23. Los Angeles Cityscapes and City ViewsSource:Getty 23 of 28
24. Luther Vandross Honored Posthumously On The Hollywood Walk Of FameSource:Getty 24 of 28
25. Foxy Brown, Luther Vandross 'O' Magazine launch party Metropolitan Pavilion, NYC April 12, 2000Source:Getty 25 of 28
26. Clive Davis At Arista Grammy PartySource:Getty 26 of 28
27. Luther Vandross RetroSource:Getty 27 of 28
28. Gladys Knight, Luther Vandross Presenting On The 17th American Music AwardsSource:Getty 28 of 28
White Priest Yells ‘Get The Hell Out’ To Grieving Family During Funeral Service was originally published on wzakcleveland.com