John Boyega is not the one. The Star Wars alum let London cosmetics brand Jo Malone know he will no longer be a brand ambassador for the company.
Boyega is not playing. The actor who was the first male brand ambassador for the brand took to Twitter to let Jo Malone it played itself when they reshot and removed him from an ad that HE CREATED. In the original ad called the “The London Gent,” which began airing last year, Boyega can be seen walking around his childhood neighborhood. It also paid homage to his Nigerian roots. The actor deservingly won the Fragrance Foundation Virtual Award’s Best Media Campaign prize for the commercial.
In a Twitter thread explaining his decision to drop the title, Boyega wrote:
“It’s back to back, but I assure you this will be dealt with swiftly. I don’t have time for nonsense. We press on and strong. Stay blessed, people.”
Jo Malone did issue an apology for their bonehead decision over the weekend. The brand shared with The Hollywood Reporter:
“John is a tremendous artist with great personal vision and direction. The concept for the film was based on John’s personal experiences and should not have been replicated.”
Welp, the apology is clearly not enough for Boyega and understandably so. This is the second time the actor has erased from an ad in China. Back in 2015, a poster for Star Wars: The Force Awakens left out Boyega and his co-star Oscar Isaac, so it’s understandable why he feels the way he does in regards to both Disney, whom he aired out already, and Jo Malone.
We love John Boyega’s energy here at Hip-Hop Wired.
Photo: Tristan Fewings / Getty
- The HistoryMakers Celebrates 20 years Of African American Leadership
- Read The Letter Kwame Kilpatrick Sent Trump Pleading For A Commutation: ‘I Applaud Your Boldness’
- Kamala Harris Delivers First Speech As Madam Vice President
- Joe Exotic Says He Was “Too Gay” To Receive Trump Pardon
- Gun Shops in Columbus Reporting Shortages as Sales Continue to Increase!
- Viral: A Thread Of Our Favorite Bernie Sanders Memes From The Inauguration
- Tennis Superstar Naomi Osaka Becomes New Global Ambassador for TAG Heuer
- Kobe Bryant, Muhammad Ali & Other Sports Heroes To Be Immortalized With Statues In Disgraced President Donald Trump’s National Garden
- Meena Harris Dressed Her Daughters In Matching Coats Just Like Auntie Kamala And Their Grandma Did In This Touching Throwback Photo
- Reversing Course: Joe Biden Signs Executive Actions Dissolving Trump’s Racist Policies
- Rare Air Jordan 1’s Got Shine During The Inauguration [Photos]
He Had Time Bruv: John Boyega Tells Jo Malone To Piss Off After They Removed Him From China Ad was originally published on hiphopwired.com