Child stars of the 90s have taken many different career paths as the years between their first glimpse of fame and life as an adult grow larger.
A look back at many classics from the era reveal a familiar face that may be tough to name: Sure, you’ve seen him in The Sandlot, The Mighty Ducks and the Wes Craven cult classic The People Under The Stairs – but how much do you know about Brandon Quintin Adams?
And an even better question: What’s he up to now?
Born in 1979, Adams got his first major look in Michael Jackson’s musical film Moonwalker. You may remember him as Zeke, a pint-sized kid with tons of attitude and some cool dance moves. The 1988 project was just the first of many memorable roles he’d take on in the decade to come.
In 1991, he paired with another entertainment legend – scary movie mastermind Wes Craven – for The People Under the Stairs. As Poindexter “Fool” Williams, Adams entered a house of horror in search of gold. By no means a box office smash, the film later enjoyed an underground legion of fans during its video and cable run.
The Mighty Ducks series and The Sandlot were two other huge wins for Adams. The sports films are still celebrated to this day.
Unfortunately, Adams’ wave of hit films and television appearances began to slow toward the start of the new millineum. Tragedy struck the actor in 2002 when he and fellow entertainer and close friend, Merlin Santana, were victims of a shooting in California.
According to multiple reports, the incident stemmed from a hookup gone bad. The two young actors visited a Chinese restaurant, where they met a teenager, Monique Mercedes King.
Merlin and the female were intimate the same night, but by morning, Mercedes wanted their encounter to progress into a long-term relationship.
The actor refused, and the scorned fling falsely told two of her male friends, Damien Gates and Brandon Bynes, that she had been raped by Santana.
Gates and Bynes ambushed the two actors outside a house party, shooting at them through the window as soon as they got into the car.
Santana did not survive the attack. He was 26 years old.
“It was devastating.” Adams said of the deadly shooting. “It took me a long time to recover from that. Merlin was my best friend, and the murder was a senseless thing.”
In the nearly two decades since the attack, the actors has taken the occasional role here and there.
He can be seen in the 2012 release, Stuck in the Corners and his voice is featured in the popluar video game Kingdom Hearts II.
- Wine Down Wednesdays With Special Guest Nwaka Onwusa Hosted Nia Noelle
- [WATCH] Urban One Exclusive Interview with New Columbus Police Chief Elaine Bryant
- Enter To Win: Which HBCU Are You? Quiz + Contest
- Magic Celebrates Black Music Month
- Tessica Brown Launches Hair Care Line, Makes $25k In Days
- Eva’s Corner: My Friend Brought Her Boo On A Girls Trip, What Should I Do? [WATCH]
- Eboni K Williams Is Breaking Barriers As The First Black Cast Mate On The Real Housewives Of NY
- Déjà Vu All Over Again: Georgia Threatens To Purge 102K Voters Weeks Before Special Runoff Elections
- Model Monday: Amarachi Odinma-Maduka Is Climbing To The Top With God’s Help
- Gabrielle Union-Wade Celebrates Hubby Dwyane Wade In Sweet Father’s Day Message: ‘I Thank God Everyday’
- Tia Mowry-Hardrict Hits The #TrickyChallenge In A $900 All-Red Power Suit And We’re Swooning!
- Stylish Track Superstar Sha’Carri Richardson Wants The World To Know She’s ‘That Girl’
- Omarion Confirms The Millennium Tour 2021 Will Return This Fall
- For The Culture: Black Women Show Off Their Beauty, Style And Creativity For Juneteenth
From 'Purple Rain' To 'American Gangster': The Unforgettable Roles Of Clarence Williams III [VIDEO]
1. Bumpy Johnson "American Gangster"1 of 10
2. Winston Hancock "Life"2 of 10
3. Lincoln "Linc" Hayes "The Mod Squad"3 of 10
4. Mr. Simms "Tales From The Hood"4 of 10
5. Arthur Romello "A.R." Skuggs "Sugar Hill"5 of 10
6. "Bub" Hewlett "Hoodlum"6 of 10
7. Samson "Half Baked"7 of 10
8. Detective Taft "Deep Cover"8 of 10
9. Father "Purple Rain"9 of 10
10. Kalinga "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka"10 of 10
Where Are They Now: ‘Sandlot’ And ‘Mighty Ducks’ Actor Brandon Quintin Adams was originally published on wzakcleveland.com