Aaron Dean, the cop who is responsible for the 2019 fatal shooting of 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson, has been sentenced to almost 12 years in prison after the jury found him guilty of manslaughter.
The former Ft. Worth police officer who killed Jefferson as she innocently played a video game with her nephew, was sentenced to 11 years and 10 months in prison.
Related:LIVE: Trial of Ft. Worth’s Atatiana Jefferson
The sentence came down Tuesday afternoon by a jury after 2 full days of deliberation. Although he was found guilty of manslaughter, a lot of people were hoping that he was found guilty of Murder for the tragic incident that happened October 12,2019.
Related:Atatiana Jefferson’s Mother Dies Months After Her Daughter Was Shot And Killed By Fort Worth Police Officer
In Texas, defendants can elect to have a jury decide their sentence instead of a judge. Dean faced anywhere between 2 and 20 year sentence the manslaughter conviction.
The prosecution requested the jurors to give the former police officer the Maximum sentence of 20 years and Dean’s defense proposed to sentence him to probation instead of time behind bars.
The former police officer plead not guilty. Dean shot Jefferson when he was responding to wellness check after Jefferson’s neighbor asked for someone to check on the house, after noticing her door was open.
Jefferson and her 8-year-old Nephew were playing video games when they heard Dean approach the window, which they thought was a prowler according to the family attorney S. Lee Merritt.
The body camera shows police walking around the property in the dark and noticing someone in the window and shortly after yelling “put your hands up, show me your hands” firing one shot killing Jefferson.
Dean resigned from the department two days after the shooting. Just hours after his resignation, he was arrested and then released on bond.
He was indicted on murder, but the jury in his trial had the option to find him guilty of manslaughter instead of murder in their deliberations.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
- Spirit Airlines, Black Tony Has Your Planes
- Unexpected Interviews with LaTocha, Rocky, and Kandi Gets Heated
- Win Tickets to New Jack City Live
- Jason Whitlock Says He’s ‘Never Voted,’ But He’s ‘Hardcore MAGA’ Now That Trump Has Been Indicted
- Gov. Ron DeSantis Declared ‘Florida Will Not Assist’ In Extraditing Donald Trump After Indictment
- Adam Blackstone |The Backstory Podcast with Colby Colb | Episode 22
- Who Is Jonathan Majors’ Attorney? Previous Hollywood Client Was Found Liable For Rape
- Mississippi Republicans Push To Make Jackson A ‘Police State’ Near Their Goal
- AV Rockwell Peels Back The Layers Of Inner City Culture With Her Film, ‘A Thousand And One’
- ‘What Goes Around Comes Around’: Civil Right Leaders React To Trump’s Criminal Indictment
Breaking: Former Texas Cop Who Killed Atatiana Jefferson Sentenced To Nearly 12 Years In Prison was originally published on thebeatdfw.com
Who Jumped Tekashi 6ix9ine? Tweet Claims IG Video Shows Name Of Man Stomping Rapper
Famous Black People Who Have Died in 2022
Active Shooter At Nashville Elementary School; Gunned Down
Did You Know Ohio Had Sundown Towns?
RIP: Famous Black People Who Died in 2023
NY Grand Jury Votes To Indict Donald Trump In Stormy Daniels Hush Money Probe: Report
Distracted driving law in Ohio goes into effect next week
REPORT: Sean Lampkin, Best Known as Nipsey on “Martin,” Dies at 54