We are sad to report that Bobby Caldwell, the singer-songwriter best known for his hit single, “What You Won’t Do For Love,” has died at the age of 71, following a lengthy illness.
His rep tells TMZ that he passed away in his sleep at his New Jersey home on Tuesday night (March 14).
Back in June of 2022, Caldwell’s official Facebook page gave insight into his medical issues. The post revealed that he developed peripheral neuropathy, caused by damage to the nerves located outside of the brain and spinal cord, that has greatly affected his ability to perform.
Get News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
Starting out as a rhythm guitarist for Little Richard in the early 1970s, the Manhattan-born, Miami-bred Caldwell released his self-titled debut album in 1978. Its lead single, “What You Won’t Do For Love,” became a major hit on Black radio, reaching #6 on the Billboard R&B charts and #9 on the Hot 100. The song has been covered and sampled many times over the years by artists such as Phyllis Hyman, Boyz II Men, 2Pac, and Snoh Aalegra, just to name a few.
He would record a total of 16 albums during his career. His last, Cool Uncle, was released in 2015.
In addition to recording and touring on his own, Caldwell also wrote songs for several artists, including Chicago, Natalie Cole, Roberta Flack, and Al Jarreau. His most notable songwriting credit is Peter Cetera and Amy Grant’s duet, “The Next Time I Fall,” a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.
- Man Dies Outside of Lima Nursing Home, Investigation Launched
- Ellen Holly, Groundbreaking “One Life To Live” Star, Dies at 92
- Woman Tries To Burn Down Birth Home Of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Self-Hate: Black Man Who Terrorized Haitians ‘Because Of Their National Origin’ Gets 20 Years In Prison
- BoomBaby! The Pacers Beat The Bucks To Advance To The NBA Cup Final
- The Black Shows Norman Lear Changed TV Culture With
- Just Do It: Tiger Woods & Nike Reportedly Looking To Part Ways
- 50 Cent Faces a $1 Billion Lawsuit from “Real-Life Ghost”
- The ‘Squid Game’ Universe Expands With Netflix’s ‘Squid Game: The Challenge’ Renewed For Season 2
- Rapper Kodak Black Arrested for Possession of Cocaine
Aaron Hall Talks His Sex Game, Calls His Manhood "Historical D#$%" and What Singers Watched Him Have Sex! What in the World?! [VIDEO]
Ohio Announces Minimum Wage Increase for 2024
Diddy Releases Statement After Being Accused Of Gang Raping 17-Year-Old, X Tells Him To Log Off
Beautiful Celebrities Who Have Been Cheated On
12 Days of Holiday Magic
Join Us in the Spirit of Giving as We Kick Off The Great Holiday Giveback
Buckeyes Star RB Miyan Williams Declares for NFL Draft
Columbus: See Inside The Abandoned Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark