An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- Hacked! Gabrielle Union, Rihanna and Meagan Good The Latest Victims
- Columbus Woman Shot In Drive By While Sitting on Porch
- Kobe Bryant is Back! Will He Be Ready to Play? [POLL]
- Jesus Baby! Lecrae, Christian Rapper, Finds Mainstream Success
- Aretha Franklin Performs Adele’s ‘Rolling In The Deep’ on The Tonight Show! HOT or NOT?! [video]
- Walmart Blames Tracy Morgan For Injuries in Almost Fatal Accident