“Project Runway” season 12 winner Dom Streater presented her Spring 2014 collection at the start of Fashion Week, making a mark during a time when designers’ pieces can be a blur. Her latest Prima collection, inspired by Russian prima ballerina, Anna Pavlova, was complete with feminine pink, grey and brown floral prints and draping silhouettes that channeled a dancer’s grace.
“There’s a kinetic energy about the world of dance, especially ballet,” Streater said. “It’s all about movement of the body and the mind. So, it was very important for me to coordinate that into the idea of a tu-tu into that shape. Or having prints that have movement, but aren’t overwhelming. That are very balanced and natural.”
MUST READ: WATCH: New York Fashion Week Fall 2014 Shows
Streater says she wanted to create a collection that’s natural to her, which she feels will allow her to relate to her clients. This collection was the first one she’s shown since her historic title as the first African American winner of the hit design competition Project Runway. The pressure to create groundbreaking ensembles can deter many designers (especially ones introduced as a winner of a strenuous design competition) from putting their best foot forward, but Streater seemed to channel whatever energy she may have had into an effortlessly fluid collection.
At a time when women everywhere (specifically in New York) are donning all-black as the casual color of choice, it’s nice that Streater took the time to create a pink dress again.
What’s even more impressive about the clothing is that all of the outfits are made of 100% cotton, making them comfortable and transitional pieces that can be layered without making a woman feeling stuffy. The black and white printed coats she designed looked warm, but the prints made them beautiful to look at.
How do you feel about the pieces, beauties?
Take a look at our Instagram to see other amazing pics from the presentation!
MORE NEW YORK FASHION WEEK:
Anika Noni Rose, NeNe Leakes & More Go Red For The Heart Truth Red Dress Collection
1. Anika Noni Rose, NeNe Leakes & More Go Red For The Heart Truth Red Dress Collection1 of 21
2. NeNe Leakes walks the runway in Dolce & Gabbana2 of 21
3. Anika Noni Rose walks the runway in Pamella Roland3 of 21
4. Alicia Quarles walks the runway in Zac Posen4 of 21
5. Bella Thorne walks the runway wearing Badgley Mischka5 of 21
6. Rutina Wesley walks the runway wearing Max Azria6 of 21
7. Sasha Cohen walks the runway wearing Marc Bouwer7 of 21
8. Giada De Laurentiis walks the runway wearing Carolina Hererra8 of 21
9. Kat Graham walks the runway wearing Mathieu Mirano9 of 21
10. Taryn Manning walks the runway wearing Carmen Marc Valvo10 of 21
11. 46742416711 of 21
12. Colbie Caillat walks the runway wearing Nicole Miller12 of 21
13. Jill Hennessy walks the runway wearing Dennis Blasso13 of 21
14. Gina Torres14 of 21
15. 46742463715 of 21
16. Victoria Justice walks the runway wearing Oscar de la Renta16 of 21
17. Joan Jett walks the runway wearing Catherine Malandrino17 of 21
18. Ireland Baldwin walks the runway wearing Donna Karen18 of 21
19. AnnaSophia Robb walks the runway wearing Alice + Olivia i19 of 21
20. Lindsey Vonn walks the runway wearing Cynthia Rawley20 of 21
21. Daphne Oz walks the runway wearing Sarah Liller21 of 21
Behind The Seams: Project Runway Winner Dom Streater Creates A Wow-Worthy Masterpiece was originally published on hellobeautiful.comfeed