Dear God: Fortify us with strength, courage and power to move and overcome every attack the enemy sends, no matter the source.
When Jesus spoke about a prophet not being accepted in their hometown, He also meant their home which is in their town.
Have you ever looked at people who are seemingly able to encourage and inspire everyone except their own family?
Even I have been guilty of passing judgment. It’s easy to say “why can’t they get their OWN house together?”
But when we read Jesus’ words in Mark 6:4 in The Message, those called to encourage should EXPECT it.
Then Jesus told them, “A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his relatives and his own family.”
The Bible is clear: EXPECT people who know your past to throw it up in the face of your present.
In fact, other translations use the word despised in reference to how a prophet’s family will treat them.
Who is mad at you in your home for your obedience in heeding God’s word?
Whom of your family has tried to remind you of the ugly that God has turned into beauty in your life?
You need to know a few things if you are experiencing this. (Stick with me…)
- To EXPECT is NOT to ACCEPT. No one can muddy the clean slate God gave you from your past.
- Your family and hometown are CHOOSING not to honor you. They will reap what they sow.
- You cannot control what people say to try to discredit you. Leave it at the altar.
- When people say the ugliest things, that is when they are suffering the most. That’s THEIR battle.
- Don’t ever be deterred by the explosive war mines that people throw your way. Be determined to obey God.
In Mark 6:5, we are told of the results of Jesus’ not being accepted in his hometown.
And because of their unbelief, he couldn’t do any miracles among them except to place his hands on a few sick people and heal them.
And instead of asking WWJD, let’s check out What DID JESUS DO (WDJD):
- “Jesus wasn’t able to do much of anything there ” Jesus didn’t force people to accept him, neither should you try to.
- “he laid hands on a few sick and healed them, that’s all.” Jesus DID WHAT HE COULD and that was all. So should you. Nothing else.
- “He couldn’t get over their stubbornness.” Just like you, even though Jesus KNEW why, he couldn’t understand their feelings.
- “He LEFT and made a circuit of the other villages, teaching. ” He went where his presence would be appreciated.
Do NOT let people discourage you from being used as a vessel of God.
Leave if necessary and go where you are appreciated. Jesus did.
Sometimes in order to effectively be used as a vessel in a move of God, we need to move away from people and move with God.
Make sure to read: