The story of Sandra Bland, the 28-year-old who was found dead in a Texas jail cell earlier this month, was given more context on Tuesday when dash camera footage of her arrest by Texas trooper Brian Encinia was released.
The nearly hour-long video shows an opposite portrait of what the 30-year-old officer painted in his police report.
Bland was booked on a third-degree felony for assaulting an officer on Friday, July 10, and reportedly hung herself with a trash bag two days later. She was pulled over by Encinia for failure to use her turn signal near Prairie View A&M, where she was expected to start her new job the following Monday. Footage of the encounter has been examined by police, activists, and even Hollywood directors.
As more information comes to light, here’s what we know about Texas trooper Brian Encinia.
1. Brian Encinia’s Career As A State Trooper Is Fairly New
Encinia ventured into police work after a career in agriculture. He attended Texas A&M University and graduated in 2008 with his bachelor’s in agricultural leadership and development. After working as an ingredient processing supervisor at Blue Bell Creameries for six years (2008-2014) he worked as a chief in the Brenham Fire Department from 2009 to 2013.
He began working for the Department of Public Safety in Waller County as a state trooper and has held the position for a little over a year.
2. Preliminary Investigation Revealed Encinia Violated “Courtesy” Protocols
Texas Department of Public Safety officials informed reporters this week that Encinia violated several traffic stop and courtesy protocols. A DPS spokesman didn’t state what exactly the officer did wrong, butlegal experts claim his alleged abrasive behavior could be a factor.
Texas Commission on Jail Standards also slammed the Waller County Jail for inconsistent training and failing to actively check on inmates every hour face-to-face.
Bland’s rights were also violated during the arrest. Citizens are allowed to remain silent after handing over their license and proof of insurance.
3. Key Details About His Initial Encounter With Sandra Bland Were Left Out
After footage of Encinia and Bland’s encounter was released to the public, suspicions of editing and Encinia’s own account of the incident were called out. In the police report, the officer says he asked Bland to exit the vehicle to continue with his investigation.
The video shows he actually opened the door to Bland’s Hyundai after pulling out his stun gun. He also argued with her about her cigarette, another factor leading to their confrontation.
Officer Brian Encina (while writing ticket): You seem very irritated.
Sandra Bland: I am, I really am…..(something slightly unintelligible, about how she was just “getting out of your way”)
Encina: Are you done?
Bland: You asked me what was wrong and I told you….
Encina: Mind putting out your cigarette please?
Bland: I’m in my car, why do I have to put out my cigarette?
Encina: You can step on out now.
Bland: I don’t have to step out of my car.
Encina: Step out of the car….
Bland: You do not have the right….
Encina: Now step out or I will remove you…I’m giving you a lawful order get out of the car now or I’m gonna remove you…
Bland: I’m calling my lawyer.
Encina: I’m gonna yank you out of here….
Bland: Don’t touch me, I’m not under arrest.
Encina: You are under arrest.
Bland: I’m under arrest for what ? For what?…
Encina: Get out of the car now!
Encinia claims Bland was combative and demanded she stop recording the arrest, but laws state that it is legal to record police if it doesn’t interfere with their duties.
4. Encinia’s Digital Presence Has Vanished
It isn’t known if Encinia had a social media presence, but his LinkedIn page was deleted after his name was announced to the public. Bland’s videos discussing her past troubles with PTSD and tweets on the “Black Lives Matter” movement, on the other hand, are still present on the internet.
5. Lawmakers Have Sided With Sandra Bland Over Arrest
“Regardless of the situation, the DPS state trooper has an obligation to exhibit professionalism and be courteous,” said DPS Director Steve McCraw. “That did not happen in this situation.”
When asked by reporters if Sandra Bland caused her own death, West said “no.” He also added that she didn’t deserve to be arrested in the first place.
6. Encinia Is Currently On Administrative Leave
Encinia is on administrative duty until the investigation is complete. The FBI is currently working with Texas Rangers on the case after Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences in Houston labeled Bland’s death a suicide. Her family has hired an independent medical examiner; that autopsy is scheduled to release results in the next few days.
ARTICLE FROM: NewsOne.com
Article Courtesy of Bustle, the Houston Chronicle, Twitter, and News One
First Picture Courtesy of Getty Images and News One
Second and Third Picture and Tweets Courtesy of Twitter and News One
First Video Courtesy of NDN, Inside Edition, and News One
Second Video Courtesy of YouTube, the Texas Department of Public Safety, and News One
Third Video Courtesy of NDN, Austin American-Statesman, and News One
Exclusive: @SamSylk In the Studio with Cleveland Mayor & Police Chief [Photos]
1. 14328299679978Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 1 of 50
2. 14328297960205Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 2 of 50
3. 1432829787069Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 3 of 50
4. 14328297778062Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 4 of 50
5. 14328297683084Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 5 of 50
6. 1432829758198Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 6 of 50
7. 14328297439591Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 7 of 50
8. 14328297324356Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 8 of 50
9. 14328297228704Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 9 of 50
10. 14328297125274Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 10 of 50
11. 14328297030455Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 11 of 50
12. 14328296930953Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 12 of 50
13. 14328296811793Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 13 of 50
14. 14328296707674Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 14 of 50
15. 14328296591951Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 15 of 50
16. 14328296499966Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 16 of 50
17. 14328296412845Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 17 of 50
18. 14328296314754Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 18 of 50
19. 14328296192449-e1432837898661Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 19 of 50
20. 14328296109744Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 20 of 50
21. 14328296004676Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 21 of 50
22. 14328295910677Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 22 of 50
23. 14328295824418Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 23 of 50
24. 14328295729596Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 24 of 50
25. 14328295625552Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 25 of 50
26. 14328295528825Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 26 of 50
27. 14328295421876Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 27 of 50
28. 14328295323718Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 28 of 50
29. 14328295217543Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 29 of 50
30. 14328295107399Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 30 of 50
31. 14328295002718Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 31 of 50
32. 14328294893409Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 32 of 50
33. 14328294782923Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 33 of 50
34. 14328294642045Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 34 of 50
35. 14328294535289Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 35 of 50
36. 1432829444959Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 36 of 50
37. 14328294348698Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 37 of 50
38. 1432829425094Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 38 of 50
39. 14328294151683Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 39 of 50
40. 14328294059995Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 40 of 50
41. 14328293966074Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 41 of 50
42. 14328293859071Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 42 of 50
43. 14328293736438Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 43 of 50
44. 14328293636248Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 44 of 50
45. 14328293527087Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 45 of 50
46. 14328293428198Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 46 of 50
47. 14328293312214Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 47 of 50
48. 143282932302Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 48 of 50
49. 1432829310386Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 49 of 50
50. 14328293011768Source:frank jackson wzak z1079 50 of 50
6 Things We Know About Brian Encinia, The Texas Trooper Who Arrested Sandra Bland was originally published on wzakcleveland.com