The tennis star lost a chance to make tennis history.
Venus Williams lost in the Wimbledon finals to Spain’s Garbiñe Muguruza 7-5, 6-0.
Williams, 37-years-old, could have become the oldest woman to take home a grand slam but failed to keep up with the younger Muguruza, 23, in the long run.
“It should be the biggest story ever if Venus wins this,” 1999 Wimbledon winner Lindsay Davenport told the Orlando Sentinel. “In women’s tennis, it’s just amazing that she’s able to do what she’s done.”
Many are pointing to off the court issues Williams is dealing with these days for the lost. As reported, she was involved in a fatal car accident that took the life of a 78-year-old man and is now being sued.
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?Source:Getty Images 1 of 25
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US OpenSource:Getty Images 2 of 25
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam CupSource:Getty Images 3 of 25
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian OpenSource:Getty Images 4 of 25
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 2000Source:Getty Images 5 of 25
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 2000Source:Getty Images 6 of 25
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney OlympicsSource:Getty Images 7 of 25
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French OpenSource:Getty Images 8 of 25
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US OpenSource:Getty Images 9 of 25
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfitSource:Getty Images 10 of 25
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot ChampionshipsSource:Getty Images 11 of 25
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfitSource:Getty Images 12 of 25
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 2004Source:Getty Images 13 of 25
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfitSource:Getty Images 14 of 25
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ DaySource:Getty Images 15 of 25
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian OpenSource:Getty Images 16 of 25
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French OpenSource:Getty Images 17 of 25
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson OpenSource:Getty Images 18 of 25
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian OpenSource:Getty Images 19 of 25
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US OpenSource:Getty Images 20 of 25
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US OpenSource:Getty Images 21 of 25
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US OpenSource:Getty Images 22 of 25
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian OpenSource:Getty Images 23 of 25
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio OlympicsSource:Getty Images 24 of 25
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio OlympicsSource:Getty Images 25 of 25
Source: NewsOne Now