Black women go through so much and often never give any thought to their mental health.
Psychologist Dr. Joy Harden Bradford wants to change that with her website Therapy For Black Girls.
“I think there’s still a lot of stigmas related to mental health. It feels really weird to go to strangers and tell them your close personal business, ” says Bradford.
However, she does believe that the media has done a good job of trying to change that stigma. “I think we’re doing a better job. I was really impressed to see that on Insecure this season. I think it helps to pull back the curtain on mental health.”
Half the battle is realizing that mental health is good, but the other half is finding the right therapist. “There are not as many black women therapist,” explains Bradford. But on her website, she has a directory for Black therapists in each state so that Black women can get access to them.
Relax, Relate, Release! 10 Ways To Improve Your Mental Health
1. Don’t Neglect Your Mental HealthSource: 1 of 8
2. Stop Putting Yourself DownSource: 2 of 8
3. Remove Toxic People From Your WorldSource: 3 of 8
4. Hit The GymSource: 4 of 8
5. Learn To Say “No”Source: 5 of 8
6. Take A Break From Social MediaSource: 6 of 8
7. Give Back To OthersSource: 7 of 8
8. Get Your Om On!Source: 8 of 8
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Inside Her Story: Why Black Women Should Invest In Mental Health was originally published on blackamericaweb.com