Another reported tragedy involving a Black teen has struck California’s Bay Area after the July killing of Nia Wilson. Police have opened a homicide investigation and arrested a suspect in the death of a missing 18-year-old high school graduate whose body turned up in San Leandro on Monday.
Initially, authorities ruled Mariah Davis‘ death as suspicious, KNTV, an NBC-owned television station, reported. Cops later arrested Anthony Pimentel, who is believed to be Davis’ ex-boyfriend, on suspicion of homicide after the young girl’s body was found in Chabot Park. She had been reported missing last week.
Davis family was grieving and seeking answers like many other families who have received tragic news after filing missing person reports for their loved ones.
The number of reported missing children in California has grown since 2015, according to the California Department of Justice. The state reported 88,028 children missing last year, up from 84,694 in 2016 and 83,144 in 2015.
Of those numbers, the majority of children were said to be runaways, as opposed to being victims of abductions, catastrophes or suspicious circumstances. The state also had more girls, not boys, who have disappeared, according to reports. Last year, 47,485 girls were reported missing, as opposed to 40,543 boys.
Missing children statistics have undoubtedly set off alarms in states across the country, from California to Illinois, in recent years. The disappearances of several African-American young women in Chicago sparked panic, protest and pain over the summer. Fifteen-year-old Sadaria Davis and 26-year-old Shantieya Smith were found dead. Reports prompted questions about whether all of the young women’s disappearances were related but police never confirmed that speculation. Authorities did ask for the community’s help with the cases.
Several deaths in missing person cases go unsolved in many cities. With Davis’ death, police were holding Pimentel in jail without bail. His arraignment was scheduled for Wednesday.
Melania Trump Lands In Africa, Gets As Far Away From The President As Possible
1. Melania in MalawiSource:Getty 1 of 20
2. Melania in MalawiSource:Getty 2 of 20
3. Melania in MalawiSource:Getty 3 of 20
4. Melania in MalawiSource:Getty 4 of 20
5. Melania in MalawiSource:Getty 5 of 20
6. Melania in MalawiSource:Getty 6 of 20
7. Melania Trump arrives in GhanaSource: 7 of 20
8.Source:Getty 8 of 20
9.Source:Getty 9 of 20
10. First Lady of Ghana greets Melania TrumpSource:Getty 10 of 20
11. Melania Trump and Rebecca Akufo-AddoSource:Getty 11 of 20
12. Melania Trump walks alongside Rebecca Akufo-AddoSource:Getty 12 of 20
13. Melania Trump is greeted by Ghana officialsSource:Getty 13 of 20
14. Dancers greet Melania TrumpSource:Getty 14 of 20
15.Source:Getty 15 of 20
16. Children wave the American and Ghana flagsSource:Getty 16 of 20
17. Musicians and dancersSource:Getty 17 of 20
18. GHANA-US-POLITICS-DIPLOMACYSource:Getty 18 of 20
19. Ghanaian and US flagsSource:Getty 19 of 20
20. Melania Trump holds a babySource:Getty 20 of 20
Where’s The Outrage? Body Of Missing Black Teen Found At California Park was originally published on newsone.com