Jada Pinkett Smith is shedding light on the sex trafficking industry in an upcoming documentary for CNN. Filming for the project is well underway, and the actress recently took to Facebook to share her experience thus far.
In an emotional five-minute clip, Jada explained that the worldwide epidemic is happening right under our noses. “[I] went to a wonderful facility called Wellspring today and got to meet three really dynamic women who had been trafficked,” she said. “And I learned so much from them today.”
She shared that strip clubs are often a breeding ground for sex traffickers. “I think the thing that caught me was that one of the ladies — a really bright young girl — the gateway to trafficking for her was stripping. As we know, here in Atlanta the strip culture is pretty prevalent. She said she just wanted to be an independent chick. She wanted to make that money. She wanted to be that girl she saw in videos,” Jada recalled. “[She] went to the strip club and was making money and even decided, ‘Hey, a couple John’s here and there, it’s my thing I’m in control, I got this.’ Only to fall into the trap of no longer being in control and ended up being trafficked.”
The mother of two went on to say the she “missed” the turn when stripping became a glorified profession. “I missed that young women were perceiving stripping as a way of being independent and balling. I missed that,” she admitted. “I think that has something to do with my age because I was just talking to my girlfriend and I was like, “Hey, when we were coming up stripping was the bottom.” The stripping culture was not glorified when I was growing up. If you were stripping there was a problem. You were on drugs or something was wrong. Where as today, that’s not it. Girls look at strippers and go, “Yo, I want that!”
Jada ended the Facebook post by saying she’s learning as she’s going. Watch the full vlog here and share your thoughts on human trafficking and the ATL strip club scene, below.
Check Out This Gallery
Jada Pinkett-Smith's Best Looks...EVER!
1. Who needs approval from the world when your boo is in awe!Source: 1 of 11
2. Trendy, edgy yet chic.. per usual.Source: 2 of 11
3. Is aging looks like this, sign us up now!Source: 3 of 11
4. Pretty In PinkSource: 4 of 11
5. Showing brown girls everywhere that red lips are on-trend!Source: 5 of 11
6. Color has always been her best accessory.Source: 6 of 11
7. Slide your LBD to the back and adopt a sexy little red (leather) dress.Source: 7 of 11
8. Took back at it.Source: 8 of 11
9. Those loose waves and this jumpsuit...YAS!Source: 9 of 11
10. Here's to wishing every celeb could pose as good as Jada.Source: 10 of 11
11. When tuxedo pants are done right!Source: 11 of 11
Jada Pinkett-Smith Exposes ATL Strip Club Scene’s Connection To Sex Trafficking was originally published on hellobeautiful.comfeed