Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther held a news conference as a call to action for everyone in the community for improvements in police reform and racial equality in the city.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
In his statement, Mayor Ginter took a stance saying he does not support the defunding police but does support change and reform. He went over many ways he is going about making changes in the community including:
- The creation of a hotline for community complaints, an independent law firm to review, and a separate law agency outside of Columbus to also assist.
- The creation of a civilian review board
- Implementing police bodycam improvements
Mayor Ginther has also called on several groups of people to help with change:
- Called for officers to intervene if they see an officer being unethical.
- Calling on the Fraternal Order of Police to be part of the solution. Mayor Ginter was quoted saying “you’re either with us or against the community”
- Calling for people of Columbus to help change by voting
- Calling for the media to continue to report the stories but from all angles.
During his address, the mayor said that he himself has made mistakes during these times. One example he gave was that he should have acted earlier when the protest started. Mayor Ginther went on to say that he felt officers were treating peaceful and violent protestors the same way. He had a conversation with the chief of police to address this issue, “I should have acted sooner” but believes this issue improved after the talk.
When asked about the use of pepper spray this past weekend in relation to his ban, Mayor Ginther stated that the use of pepper spray is allowed when someone is being violent. But in a targeted manner at the subject that is breaking the law.
Watch his full address to the community below:
- Watch the Future History Makers Virtual Awards Banquet 2021
- Win 1K Daily from Rickey Smiley and Keyshia Cole
- Lizzo’s Extra Long Braid And Gold Fronts Are The Mood All 2021
- Desean Brown: Indicted In Death Of His 3-Year-Old Son & His Mother Will Face Death Penalty
- Da Brat’s Top Woman Law Violations [WATCH]
- Dr. Collier Explains The COVID-19 Vaccine Could Interfere With Mammogram Results [WATCH]
- YaYa Mayweather Faces Backlash For Taking Her Newborn Baby On A Yacht
- Florida County Snubs Rush Limbaugh As Flag-Lowering Debate Rages
- 5 Celebrity Beauty/Skin Care Products You Should Know About
- No Charges For Rochester New York Police Officers Involved With Daniel Prude’s Death
- Cincinnati: SWAT Standoff In Avondale Ends Peacefully