The President was seen speaking with his aides on the news coverage of his summit with Putin, and how to react to lack of support he got from all sides, including the Republican Party.
President Donald Trump voiced support Tuesday for US intelligence agencies, a day after he refused to accept their findings on Russia’s election meddling over the denials of Russian President Vladimir Putin, and vowed to take action to prevent further interference.
Reading prepared remarks to reporters at the White House, Trump reiterated that there was no collusion between his campaign and Russia and that the country’s efforts had no impact on the final results.
He said that when he returned from the summit with Putin in Helsinki, Finland, he “realized there is some need for clarification” about his remarks on Russian interference in the 2016 election.
“In a key sentence in my remarks I said the word ‘would’ instead of ‘wouldn’t,’” Trump said. He explained he reviewed a transcript and video of his remarks.
“The sentence should have been: ‘I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be Russia,’” he said. “Sort of a double negative.”
“I think that probably clarifies things pretty good on itself,” Trump said.
During Monday’s news conference, Trump said, “I don’t see any reason why it would be” Russia who interfered in the election.
Earlier Tuesday, Trump offered a defiant rebuke of his critics, writing on Twitter: “While I had a great meeting with NATO, raising vast amounts of money, I had an even better meeting with Vladimir Putin of Russia.”
“Sadly, it is not being reported that way – the Fake News is going Crazy!” he proclaimed.
Trump’s self-defense, however, was unlikely to quell the uproar caused by Monday’s news conference.
The conservative editorial page of The Wall Street Journal declared the news conference “a personal and national embarrassment” for the President, asserting he’d “projected weakness.” Newt Gingrich, ordinarily a reliable voice of support, wrote on Twitter the remarks were “the most serious mistake of his presidency.”
Members of Congress, including several powerful Republicans, also distanced themselves from Trump’s remarks and aligned themselves with US intelligence estimates that Russia interfered in the election.
Trump surprised at fierce criticism
Immediately after Monday’s news conference, Trump’s mood was buoyant, people familiar with the matter said. He walked off stage in Helsinki with little inkling his remarks would cause the firestorm they did, and was instead enthusiastic about what he felt was a successful summit.
By the time he’d returned to the White House just before 10 p.m. ET on Monday, however, his mood had soured. Predictably, the President was upset when he saw negative coverage of the summit airing on television aboard Air Force One. It was clear he was getting little support, even from the usual places.
READ MORE: News5Cleveland.com
Article Courtesy of CNN and WEWS News 5 Cleveland
First and Second Picture Courtesy of Mark Wilson and Getty Images
Video Courtesy of ABC News and YouTube
Through the years with Luther Vandross [Photos]
1. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - Season 4Source:Getty 1 of 28
2. Luther Vandross brought more than a little bit of Las Vegas to 7;000 fans at Maple Leaf Gardens lastSource:Getty 2 of 28
3. Luther Vandross On StageSource:Getty 3 of 28
4. Luther Vandross On 'Oprah Winfrey'Source:Getty 4 of 28
5. Little Richard And Luther VandrossSource:Getty 5 of 28
6. The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - Season 28Source:Getty 6 of 28
7. Luther Vandross Live In ConcertSource:Getty 7 of 28
8. Luther VandrossSource:Getty 8 of 28
9. Luther VandrossSource:Getty 9 of 28
10. Dionne Warwick Burt Bacharach Carole Bayer Sager And Luther VandrossSource:Getty 10 of 28
11. Luther VandrossSource:Getty 11 of 28
12. Luther VandrossSource:Getty 12 of 28
13. Roberta Flack And Luther VandrossSource:Getty 13 of 28
14. Singer Luther VandrossSource:Getty 14 of 28
15. Luther Vandross Live at Westbury Music FairSource:Getty 15 of 28
16. 7th Annual Soul Train Lady of Soul AwardsSource:Getty 16 of 28
17. 33rd Annual Grammy AwardsSource:Getty 17 of 28
18. BET AwardsSource:Getty 18 of 28
19. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - Season 9Source:Getty 19 of 28
20. Disney ABC Television Group ArchiveSource:Getty 20 of 28
21. Disney ABC Television Group ArchiveSource:Getty 21 of 28
22. Celine Dion, Luther Vandross And Little Richard Appear At A Gala for the President at Ford's TheatreSource:Getty 22 of 28
23. Los Angeles Cityscapes and City ViewsSource:Getty 23 of 28
24. Luther Vandross Honored Posthumously On The Hollywood Walk Of FameSource:Getty 24 of 28
25. Foxy Brown, Luther Vandross 'O' Magazine launch party Metropolitan Pavilion, NYC April 12, 2000Source:Getty 25 of 28
26. Clive Davis At Arista Grammy PartySource:Getty 26 of 28
27. Luther Vandross RetroSource:Getty 27 of 28
28. Gladys Knight, Luther Vandross Presenting On The 17th American Music AwardsSource:Getty 28 of 28
President Trump Says He Misspoke on Russia Claims at New Press Conference was originally published on wzakcleveland.com