According to NBC4i, the family of Casey Goodson Jr. filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Franklin County and former deputy Jason Meade on Thursday, hours after criminal charges were filed in Goodson’s death.
The lawsuit was filed on the behalf of Goodson’s estate in U.S. District Court. It did not specify a dollar amount, asking for that to be determined at trial, but alleges excessive force, wrongful death and a Monell claim of misconduct by law enforcement.
On Dec. 4, 2020, Meade was coming off an assignment with the U.S. Marshal’s fugitive task force when he spotted Goodson and followed him back to a family residence on Estates Place on Columbus’ north side.
Meade’s attorney has said that Goodson waved a firearm and refused commands to drop it.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
- 2024 St. Jude Radiothon, Help a Child in Need – DONATE NOW
- Diddy Sued For Sexual Assault By Male Producer, Claims He’s A Cancel Culture VIctim
- Congratulations! Gabourey Sidibe Is Expecting Twins
- Video Shows Virginia Lt. Gov. Winsome Earle-Sears Misgender Trans Senator As ‘Sir,’ Offers Non-Apology
- LAPD Reveals How They Busted Multimillion-Dollar Sneaker Theft Ring
- Princess Love Files for Divorce from Ray J for The Fourth Time: Our Paths Have Diverged
- Wyclef Jean To Perform At Nassau Paradise Island Wine & Food Festival
- Fans Got It Bad: Usher Adds Multiple European Dates To His ‘Past Present Future’ 2025 Global Tour
- Brooklyn Man Shot & Killed Over A Black & Mild Cigar
- Donald Trump Jr. Claims ‘African American Men’ Regularly Come Up To Him And Say He’s Their ‘Hero’
Cleveland Rapper, Auntie Piggy is recovering from being shot multiple times
Beautiful Celebrities Who Have Been Cheated On
Columbus Nightclub Temporarily Closed Following Double Homicide
Famous Black People Who Have Died in 2022
Urban One Columbus Presents: 2024 Cutest Couple Contest
Did You Know Ohio Had Sundown Towns?
Jennifer Hudson Has 26 Siblings!!
Win A Trip to Miami's "Jazz in the Gardens"!